Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Connection, Community, Inspiration
We encourage everyone to bring guests to the presentation.
Login to website for Zoom information
Time: 10:30 a.m.
- 10:15 a.m. Social time in chat rooms
- 10:30 a.m. Kate Griffin, President, opens meeting:
- Introduce guests
- Announcements, updates, remarks
- Introduce speaker – Carl Leon, Seattle Office of Emergency Management
- 10:45 a.m. Carl Leon (see program below)
- 11:30 a.m. Questions/answers
- 11:45 a.m. Raffle drawing Ticket purchase is now closed. (Winner received 1/2 of proceeds! Listen to ‘For the Love of Money by the O’Jays on UTube)
“Being prepared can reduce fear, anxiety, and losses that accompany disasters. … People also can reduce the impact of disasters (…securing items that could shake loose in an earthquake) and sometimes avoid the danger completely.” – from www.fema.gov ‘Why Prepare’.
Newcomers Club features a return of the popular Seattle Office of Emergency Management’s (OEM) Disaster Preparedness Program presented again by Carl Leon. Learn up-to-date guidance from the office responsible for developing plans for severe weather, earthquakes, pandemics, and large planned events posing security concerns. You will be provided guidance on:
- How to develop a disaster PLAN
- Build a disaster supply kit
- Organize with your neighbors to be better prepared
The Seattle OEM partners with other City departments, County, State and Federal governments as well as the business community to recover from the aftermath of disaster. The more people on this city-wide team, the stronger we are together.
Carl has been a volunteer with OEM for about 10 years, doing both public outreach presentations, and also as a member (and currently Deputy Director) of the Auxiliary Communications Service (ACS), which provides emergency communications support to OEM and the City of Seattle. Before volunteering with Seattle, Carl was a volunteer with King County Search & Rescue for 25 years. In 2019 Carl was awarded the Governor’s Volunteer of the Year Award for Emergency/Disaster Preparedness. Carl is retired from the US Army, and also from program management and technical management in the private sector.
Chat questions were entered and answered during the event and open questions and answers followed Carl’s presentation.
Guests Are Welcome!
Feel Free To Invite Friends, Family And Neighbors To This Program And Our Activities
Newcomers Is A Fun Social Club And Everyone Is Invited To Check It Out!
Questions? Email: email@example.com